Apr 8, 2007

Use of English:Key Word Transformation

Complete these sentences and
For questions 1-10, complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given.

Example: I haven't seen you for years.
ages
It's (been ages since I) saw you.

1. Why are you interested in taking up a new hobby? want Why ........................................ up a new hobby?

2. "Have you seen my gloves anywhere, Eric?" asked Mrs Noble. seen Mrs Noble asked Eric ........................................ her gloves anywhere.

3. Suzanne was too excited to sleep. that Suzanne was ........................................ not sleep.

4. Robert has not had a job for two years. out Robert has ........................................ for two years.

5. "I will complete the work only if you pay me 500 pounds extra," said Frank. not "I will ....................................... you pay me 500 pounds extra," said Frank.

6. The thief ran past you so I'm sure you saw his face. must The thief ran right past you so ........................................ his face.

7. The clients demanded to stay in a first-class hotel. staying The clients ........................................ in a first-class hotel.

8. I don't object to the council building a new road here. objection I ........................................ the council building a new road here.

9. The author wrote her latest novel while she was staying in Majorca. was The author's latest novel ........................................ stay in Majorca.

10. The newspaper offered Lynda 5,000 pounds for her story, but she refused. turned Lynda ...................................... of 5,000 pounds from the newspaper for her story.

No comments: